Happy Five Year Anniversay to me!
Today marks my five year anniversary with my company. I like to meditate on significant milestones with wisdom from Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes.
How I felt after the first two years….
How I feel five years later.
My relationship with my company, colleagues and career is undoubtedly one of the most rewarding I’ve had thus far. And this five year anniversary with my company has me feeling more proud and accomplished than any I’ve celebrated with a partner. I’m not sure what that says about me, but I think I’m okay with it regardless. Today I received speeches, flowers, congratulations from people near and far, a gift package of flowers and chocolates and nuts and dried fruit. I shared delicious cake and gratitude.
Things I’ve learned about myself as it pertains to my work (in no particular order):
- I do not know where I am going and I like it
- I can do pretty much anything, but I may have a panic attack before I get it done
- I do not enjoy bullshitting, nor am I good at it
- I prefer working in teams, but only if it is with people who work as hard or harder than me
- My work is not my vice, but sometimes I’m happy to let it be
- I miss summer vacation as a multi week construct
- I hate it when work forces me to cancel a vacation… you can’t get that shit back
- I really love the people I’ve worked with in the last five years
- Companies / organizations should be leanly but appropriately staffed
- Coffee is the best beverage ever invented after water and whiskey (… and it may actually be better than whiskey)